Thursday 16 February 2012

A pizza revolution!

Sausage, Spinach, Basil, and Gruyere Cheese
I am a regular subscriber to Martha Stewart Living magazine, and sometimes I am just blown away by all the new ideas they come up with. I mean other than your ingredients, who knew that pizza could actually STILL be improved upon? (In the March issue)
Before I continue my ravings, I should tell you what kind of pizza person I am (what? there are many different styles of pizza!). I like a crispy-bottomed crust, but I don't want to eat a cracker. I want my crust just thick enough to provide a bit of chew. I like classic, fairly minimalist toppings like actual tomatoes as the sauce, basil, sausage, peppers, and only enough cheese to hold the toppings together. I don't know what kind of pizza you like, but if you're adventurous - and I know you are - you should probably give this a try!

I won't tell you what kinds of toppings to use or how much - by now you should know what you like on your pizza!

1) Oven on to 500'F. In a well-oiled cast iron skillet, press your pizza dough (store bought or your favorite recipe) into the skillet, coming up ever so slightly on the sides. Spread with sauce. I crushed whole canned tomatoes and mixed them with fresh garlic and a tablespoon of tomato paste. If you do it that way, spread all the watery/juicy bits right to the very edge of the crust. It adds flavor to the spots that may not get toppings.
2) On the stovetop, cook the crust on medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes, until the bottom starts to get golden. Then pop it in the oven for another 3 minutes.
3) Take it out and top it with whatever you like - cheese and all. Then put it back in the oven for exactly 8 minutes. I did mine this way and it came out perfectly cooked and delicious.

Please be careful! The whole cast iron skillet is going to be extremely hot, and so will your pizza! It's probably a good idea to let the pizza rest on the cutting board for a couple minutes, to soak in the juices and cool down a teense.
Cooking on the stovetop



Topped, before popping in the oven

Fresh Basil scattered on top after cooking - mmmmmmmm!!

2 comments:

  1. Looks great! Did you use the dough from Sunday? Just wondering if the dough was still good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, same dough! It was perfect. Would you mind sending me the recipe? It was so good!

    ReplyDelete