Wednesday 9 November 2011

Quick Chicken + Veggies

Another recipe in a series of "budget meals" that will no doubt appear on this here blog of mine! Weighing in at 5 ingredients, this afterthought may turn into a weekly staple! I think if nothing else, this blog will be a good way for me to keep track of recipes like this that sort of get formed out of nothing. After eating a successfully cheap and delicious meal, my first thought is not usually "I should write this down and make it again," it's "Wait! I gotta get the camera." Now I can actually use these pictures for something - to tempt you, and to jog my memory!

BBQ Chicken + Veggies
1 red onion, cut in wedges
2 cloves of garlic (optional), minced
3 tomatoes, cut in wedges
2 green peppers, cut to stubby spears (see left)
1/4 cup BBQ sauce or salsa
3 chicken breasts
S+P

1. Seasons chicken breasts and sear on both sides until golden. Set aside, and cut into chunks (it's fine if it's not cooked through at this point).
2. Sautee onion (and garlic, if desired) in the same pan until just soft. Add peppers and tomatoes, and cook on medium low for 5-10 minutes, until tomatoes start to break down.
3. Add sauce/salsa and chicken, and cover. Keep temperature at a simmer until chicken is cooked through, and a sauce is formed.
Serve with potatoes, rice or any other carb you can think of to soak up the delicious sauce, and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Nice... too bad Dad doesn't want to eat peppers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think "stubby spears" was the one knife cut they failed to teach us at culinary school! :)

    ReplyDelete