Saturday 19 November 2011

Dutch Babies... whaaaat???

Yeah - not really sure who came up with that name... and I'm not sure I want to know! But for those who are still in the dark (heehee... funny if you read my previous post!) a Dutch Baby is essentially a delicious, fluffy, eggy, baked pancake, I assume invented by the Dutch!

I came across a recipe for this pancake in the memoir book of one Molly Wizenberg, author of Orangette (the Martha Stewart of food blogging, I'm told).

Anyway, I'm a sucker for pancakes, especially the soft kind that feel like a really thick crepe so I had to try it out. Following the mouth-watering pictures is the recipe, with a few minor adjustments. The recipe has you douse the thing in lemon juice and then dust with icing sugar. The only problem I found was that, because the side puffed up so much it was almost impossible to get THEM with the lemon juice (which, lets face it, was the best part) so I thought it would be nice to add a touch of sugar to the batter itself so the edges had a bit of sweetness to them. I would also recommend adding lemon zest to the batter if you're a huge lemon freak (I say it with love!).

Dutch Babies - serves 2 (seriously, don't feel guilty. actually, eat it with a fruit salad and some bacon, too)

2 Tbsp unsalted butter
4 large eggs
1/2 cup all-purpose flour (unbleached)
1/2 cup half-and-half
2 Tbsp. sugar
1/4 tsp salt
Topping: juice of 1-2 lemons, and sifted powdered sugar

As I learned the hard way, these puff up BEAUTIFULLY in the oven and fall completely flat by the time you take  them out. If you want a picture, you have to brave the oven-shot. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you braved the oven shot! Looks SO good! Maybe Molly Wizenberg has a new bit of competition in BC!? :)

    ReplyDelete